Wednesday 8 July 2015

Pre- Writers Festival Excitement



I have heard about the Bendigo Writers Festival from other students at La Trobe which got me excited about the subject, so I looked into it. Much to my surprise I enrolled into the festival held in Mildura, a small town on the edge of the Australian desert. Because I am primarily a film and cinema student, this idea in itself that got me jumping out of my seat in pure joy as it is a great location for film and filmography opportunities.

During the festival, Im hoping to gain a lot of inspiration from texts that interest me, from writers like Alexis Wright that focus a lot on Indigenous Australians and non-fiction script writes like Thomas Keneally. I wonder what it is that has drawn these writers to Mildura. I really want to find out the connection between the meanings between a page and words for these writers; the words and the narrative; the narrative and the image; the image to the moment. The connections between locations and events that inspire the words of a writer, helping them to create a deep and meaningful message conveyed in a piece. To me, these are the important layers that help me with a story, however different, are intwined.

"A picture is worth a thousand words". But how many words worth was the moment in time, or the motion of inspiration derived from the world, that these writers sought from. This intrigues me the most.

Photography by Josie Cosgrove

2 comments:

  1. Great questions Emel - especially what has drawn these writers to Mildura? Is it the landscape? the river? the fabuluos food"? the knowledge that this is special sort of festival? Let's find out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Emel. I look forward to reading more about your experiences over the festival, and the answers you find.

    ReplyDelete